Posted: May 26, 2023
Moving Checklists for Every Move
Moving can be very stressful, especially if you have not taken the right steps to prepare. In order to have a stress-free experience, you need to follow a good moving checklist, and this guide will highlight everything you need to do:
Six Months Before Moving:
- Sort your belongings and get rid of everything you no longer need. Purging before a move is very important, and you should start by going through every room of your house to decide which items you would like to keep and which items you can get rid of.
- Research moving services in Winnipeg. Look at the different moving companies that are available and learn about their services. Always get an estimate in writing to prevent disagreements.
Two Months Before Moving:
- Order packing supplies. You need to order moving boxes, tape, bubble wrap, markers and anything else you may need.
One Month Before Moving:
- Select your mover and confirm the arrangements. Make sure you have a written confirmation of your moving date, costs and any other details you wish to clarify.
- Start packing. This is one task you cannot leave to the last minute, and you should start by packing the things you use most infrequently. Label every box clearly to make the unpacking process easier.
- Alert important parties. You must notify your banks, the HR department at your workplace, brokerage firms, utility companies and insurance companies about your move.
- Do a change of address with all relevant institutions with whom you require correspondence.
Two Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact the moving company. It’s always a good idea to reconfirm the arrangements.
- Make the necessary arrangements with your workplace. You will want to be around on moving day to supervise the move and make sure everything goes as planned, and you should notify your boss that you will be off that day.
One Week Before Moving:
- Make sure most of your belongings are packed. Only essentials should be left out by this point, and everything else should be packed in the proper boxes.
A Few Days Before Moving:
- Confirm all of the details. Triple-check the moving company’s arrival time and contact them to ensure they have your new address. Provide them with specifics and include contact information like your cell phone number.
- Plan for payment. Some moving companies will arrange payment in advance, while others will want payment closer to the move date. Make sure you have the funds ready and have some cash handy for tips. This is not mandatory, but if you are very happy with the moving services you receive, a tip is a great way to show your appreciation.
- Verify the truck. Make sure the moving truck that shows up is from the company you actually hired. This may sound strange, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
There are different types of moves, but this checklist will help in most situations. Whether you are moving to a new home, into a dorm room or moving to a new province, this checklist will come in handy.
Are you planning a move? King’s Transfer can help! We serve clients in Winnipeg and would be more than happy to answer your questions. Contact us today to learn more about our moving services!